Sony Discman D-J50 Portable CD Player
The Sony D-J50 is a ultra slim CD player that is only slightly thicker than a CD jewel case, including battery. What makes it possible is the sophisticated technology lavished on the unit, including a newly developed optical pickup laser coupler, a thin brushless motor, highly integrated circuits, and other Sony innovations. The familiar ring shape makes a reappearance on the lid of the D-J50. The ring motif had been removed from previous CD players to make room for controls, but here, all buttons are on the front. The design of the included rechargeable battery is reminiscent of slits on a CD jewel case.
The D-J50 was released in 1991 as the flagship Discman, the same year the legendary D-303 was released. The sound quality for this ultra thin Discman is top notch. You can hear so much detail. Soundstage is wide and precise, the bass is tight without any hint of over saturation. Clarity is supreme. Highly recommended for listening to jazz, classical music and vocals.
* Frequency Response: 20 Hz ~ 20,000 Hz +1 -3 dB.
* D-A Conversion: 16 bit linear 2 fs digital filter
* Wow and Flutter: Below measurable limit.
* Output: At 6 volt input level: Line output (stereo mini jack)
Output level 0.7 V rms at 50 kilohms. Load impedance over 10 kilohms
Headphones (stereo mini jack) 5 mW + 5 mW at 16 ohms
* Power Requirements: Rechargeable battery pack BP-4 (supplied)
DC IN 6 Volt jack accepts Sony AC power adapter (supplied).
* Power Consumption: 0.9 Watt DC.
* Dimensions: Approximately 125mm Width x 14.8mm Height x 130.6mm Depth
Not including included part (depth(, projecting parts and controls.
* Weight: Approximately 300 g 10.6 oz not including rechargeable battery and battery.
Approximately 350 g 12.4 oz including rechargeable battery.
* Supplied accessories:
* AC power adapter (1)
* Rechargeable battery pack (1)
* Battery case (1)
* Carrying case (1)
* Connecting cord (1) Stereo miniplug -> two phono plugs
* Car mount adaptor (1)
* Stereo headphone (1)
Service Manual Download: